Answer an Etiquette Question
As you socialize, you will need to answer an etiquette question at some point in your life. Here are some common issues that come up.
Answer An Etiquette Question
When Should I Send a Thank-You Note?
Thank-you notes are a great way to let someone know you appreciated something they did for you. At one time a thank-you note was a common way saying “thank you" and was expected after an event or gift. With the busy schedules of familes today, the art of the note is dieing.
Thank you notes should be handwritten. Use cute stationary or personalized letterhead to write your note on.
Taking the time to write a thank you note can be used in many ways:
- To thank someone for a gift. This is expected.
- To thank someone for a meal, or date
- To thank a college recruiter or employer for interviewing you
- To thank a teacher for making a difference in your life
- Just because
Can I send an Email Thank-You Note?
With the growth of the Internet, many thank-you notes are sent online. Websites like Blue Mountain offer free designs to pick from.
There are still times where a snail mail thank-you note is preferred, such as for graduation gifts or interviews.
What is Internet Etiquette?
Internet etiquette, also known as "Netiquette" applies to message boards, chat rooms, instant messaging and email.
- Do not use all capital letters, it comes across as shouting
- Do not spam or advertise
- Become familiar with emoticans
- Use your manners
- Use proper punctuation so others can read your posts
- Don’t flame, or gang up on other posters
Kids Domain has more etiquette rules.
Can You Answer an Etiquette Question About Cell Phones?
With the popularity of cell phones, cell phone etiquette is required.
- Turn off your cell phone in class, movies, libraries, and other places where you can distract others.
- Do not talk on your phone when you are entertaining others, it makes them feel left out and is rude.
- Do not dial while driving. Not only is this rude for others in the car, it is dangerous.
- If you have an earpiece, take it out when you are not on the phone. It is distracting to others who do not know if you are talking to them or someone on the other end of the phone.
- Do not shout into the phone. They can hear your regular voice just fine.
Why is There More than One Fork at a Restaurant?
If you find more than one fork at a restaurant, expect a multiple course meal. Use your silverware from the outside in. If there are two forks, one is for the salad and the other is for the main course. A third fork on top of your plate means dessert will be served.
Why Do You Bow or Curtsy?
Men bow and women curtsy as a sign of respect to someone important. In the past, if you were in the presence of someone you respected, you acknowledge him or her with this simple gesture. An example is if you see the queen or royalty.
In America, you shake hands or applaud to recognize someone.
One of the few times you may find yourself bowing or giving a curtsy is when you dance. A traditional Square Dance begins with a “bow to your partner.” If you are in ballet lessons, you may curtsy to your teacher as a thank you.
What is RSVP?
R-S-V-P stands for the French phrase ”répondez, s'il vous plait”. In America it means “reply soon please.” If you receive an invitation with RSVP, you should call, email, or mail back the response card to let the host know if you are able to make it and how many people will be attending. It helps the host to plan for her event.
How Can I Nicely Say “No”?
If you are asked to do something you do not want to do, kindly thank the person for thinking of you and tell him you are unable to help him at this time.
Here is an example:
- “Thank you for thinking of me to babysit, however, I have a conflict on that day and am not able to help.” Or
- “I appreciate you thinking about me, but I am unable to help you at this time.”